4.19.2010

15 years today.

“Depending on how old you are, you’ll remember where you were when you heard about Pearl Harbor, JFK’s assassination or September 11, 2001.

If you’re an Oklahoman, you remember the 1995 bombing of the Alfred P. Murrah Federal Building. The attack killed 168 people – the worst domestic terror attack in American history.”
I do remember. I was in the 4th grade, we were on the bus about to head downtown to see the philharmonic when our principle came on and told us our field trip had been cancelled and to go to the cafeteria. In 4th grade i had the best teacher, Mrs Kimbro, she was one of the nicest people i have ever met, she was honest with us and told us that a building downtown had been bombed. My first thought, i was terrified, i knew that my mom worked downtown but no one would say what building it had been. I remember my friends and i were walking down the hall to the cafeteria when we passed the lobby i saw my great grandma standing there, i knew she had been crying. Panic shot threw me and i started bawling, i knew that it had been my moms building..i had lost it, i didnt even give my grandma a chance to talk..i ran over and hugged her..

She then told me that my mom was ok, to go get my things, and that my mom was waiting at her house but wanted to see her kids. My friends went and got my things from the classroom because i couldnt let go of my grandma.

My mom works in the US Bankruptcy Court and lost a lot of her friends that day. The impact was so bad at her office that sucked in and blew out the windows, and knocked her out of her chair. They made them evacuate the building, when she got outside, she said it was the worst nightmare you can imagine. My Uncle who didnt work far from there had heard about it on the news and headed down to find my mom. Im not sure if it was luck or god, but he found her, he saved her, he got her out of there and took her to my grandmas.

I will always remember that day, and i will never forget the people who lost their lives. It may have been 15 years ago, but the memories will stay forever.

No comments: